Thursday, May 30, 2013

So I ran a half marathon

I'm still not sure I should believe it myself. I mean I actually ran a half marathon. Not walked, not walked and ran, but actually ran. In that I didn't walk. Or stop. Or sit down.

My sister and I. Green bib means 21K.
The day was perfect for running. Grey and overcast, it was actually misting when the race started. Not raining, misting. Beautiful.

Here are the questions that I've been asked the most.

Was it fun? Unbelievably so. The atmosphere was amazing.
Was it hard? Yes. The first 10K were fun, easy. The next 7.5 were a little bit more difficult, but still fun. I started hurting at 17.5 km, and hit a wall. It wasn't until I hit about the 19k mark that I broke through the wall, and at that point I was so exhausted that it was all I could do to keep running. I was able to 'sprint for the finish' at the end, but it was together with a scream of defiance and and incredible push from within. I had three paramedics ask if I was okay at the finish line.
Will you do it again? Yes. I'm registered for another in September.
Will you ever do a full marathon? No, at least I don't think so. It took a lot of time and dedication to increase my endurance to a level fit for a half marathon, and I don't think I'll ever want to enter into the territory of full marathons, simply because I do not have the time to dedicate to running that would be required.

Lisa and I, after the race.